The Federation was created in 1948 and today consists of more than 97 magic societies, both national and international, as well as national Federations which represent over 70,000 magicians from some 49 countries.
FISM’s aims are:
• to be a leading platform, unifying magic societies from all over the world, committed to the enhancement, promotion and development of the Art of Magic;
• to develop, elevate, promote the art of magic and to preserve the knowledge of the history of magic;
• to coordinate the activities of Member Societies, enhancing their authority and encouraging the exchange of reciprocal cooperation and services
• to fight against exposure and copies of acts, effects or inventions, presentations or original routines
• to organise international events such as the FISM World Championship of Magic and supervise Continental Championships of Magic.